Friday, February 18, 2011

Messy Argyle Tutorial

Argyle tutorial

162856_193202524028237_100000154733745_833622_9268_n

This project is based on my friend’s wedding cake. I loved how the argyle was randomly scattered over one corner of the cake. Using similar colors I embellished a sweater vest I found at a thrift store for a dollar.

003 

Start by cutting a few different sized squares out of a knit fabric. I choose knit because the edges will  be unfinished and knit won’t ravel. Lay them out on your garment to find a configuration you like.

006

If you are layering your argyle then you are going to start by sewing the bottom most piece. I used the free motion foot on my sewing machine to sew around the edges of the square. I chose this foot because I wouldn’t have to turn it while sewing.

 012 015

Don’t worry about the stitches being perfect. They aren’t supposed to be. 017

Using a very narrow zig-zag and a contrasting thread, sew an X across the square. Note that the Argyle in the picture is WRONG. The X on the argyle is supposed to be through the midpoints of the sides (I wasn’t thinking and went through my corners on the first square. Seemed like too much of a pain to rip so I just kept it) You could also make the X with the free motion foot. I have two machines so I just went back and forth between the two. 

018

Place the next layer of squares, sew around the perimeter and make the X.

 027

Just for fun,  I decided to do one of the X’s in a bright contrasting orange. I really like the way it came out.030 

I think that little boys are so adorable in collared shirts.

058  062

You could use this process on a t-shirt or to embellish a plain jacket or even to patch up a pair of pants. It’s simple and cute and quick. I hope you give it a try.

By the way, I threw my friends a wedding brunch and made cloth napkins with the same technique.

011

I hope you are having as much fun as I am with CELEBRATE THE BOY. I’ll be adding this to their flickr group

Ruth

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute idea for the theme...and even just the sweater itself!

    ReplyDelete